Tuesday 20 January 2015

Review: Lirael (Abhorsen #2) by Garth Nix

Title: Lirael (Abhorsen #2)
Author: Garth Nix
Genre: Fantasy, YA
Publisher: Harper
Pages: 705

Lirael has never felt like a true daughter of the Clayr. Now, two years past the time when she should have received the Sight that is the Clayr’s birthright, she feels alone, abandoned, unsure of who she is. Nevertheless, the fate of the Old Kingdom lies in her hands. With only her faithful companion, the Disreputable Dog, Lirael must undertake a desperate mission under the growing shadow of an ancient evil.

In this sequel to SABRIEL, winner of the Aurealis Award for Excellence in Australian Science Fiction, Garth Nix weaves a spellbinding tale of discovery, destiny, and danger. (More from Goodreads)


As should be apparent, this is the second book in the Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix- perhaps the best series of books ever written by him, and the very series that made me start reading his work. I started re-reading Sabriel a while back when Rinn was doing re-reads sometime last year, and I figured I should continue to finish the trilogy again- because at the time, the new prequel Clariel was coming out soon. At the time of writing, Clariel has been out for a few months now and I still haven't got it yet because I'm... waiting for the right time (and price).


Lirael is the heftiest book in the Abhorsen series (dare I say, to date). This 'pocket version' is over 700 pages long. It is also, I believe, the best book in the trilogy. Since my last reading of this book took place nearly a decade ago and I never discussed its contents ever since, it allowed me to fall in love with the story again, which is an amazing feeling. Being re-introduced to Lirael, the Disreputable Dog, the Clayr, Abhorsen; Ancelstierre, The Old Kingdom, and their wonders and horrors. I absolutely loved the feeling. Perhaps I loved it even more the second time around!

The Abhorsen Trilogy was the series that really got me interested in the fantasy genre, Harry Potter aside, and it's easy to see why after this re-read. To date, it still has one of the most intriguing worlds, beliefs and magic systems.

Lirael is not just about fancy magic systems and adventuring to defeat evil horrors; It's also the endearing story of a teenager who just could not fit in, and her journey to become someone greater than she had ever dared to dream. This is perhaps one of the reasons why it is the most empowering of all three books in the original series. Lirael is the odd one out, more often than not because of her own restrictive thoughts. Throughout this book, we witness this shy, undecided girl blossom into the courageous, inspiring character we already know she could be.

I also love how this book reveals more of the history of the Charter, Free Magic and the components and pivotal characters that made the Old Kingdom, and expanded upon the characters we were already introduced to in the first book.

The narration is not a drag- it proceeds at precisely the right pace. Description is given enough for us to visualize the surroundings in our minds, but not too much that we are bombarded with rambling narratives of decor positions. And what beautiful settings this book held for me. I still think it's better than Sabriel!

One of my biggest desires is to own the original trilogy with the original cover illustrations in hardcover, instead of the pocket-sized paperback versions. I doubt they would have another version of Clariel in this cover, and that saddens me more than I care to admit. Although the new Australian covers for the trilogy are beautiful, they hold no candle to the original versions.

Additionally, one of my lifelong dreams is to own the Abhorsen bell set. They might not sing as sweetly as the actual bells in the books, but they would look mighty fine in my collection!

I think I do not need to elaborate why it deserves 5 stars. It just does, I'm afraid!


~My Rating~
5 out of 5 Charter Marks!

No comments:

Post a Comment