Thursday 8 January 2015

Mini Review: The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Title: The Kite Runner
Author: Khaled Hosseini
Genre: Fiction, Historical Fiction, Contemporary
Publisher: Riverhead Trade
Pages: 384
The unforgettable, heartbreaking story of the unlikely friendship between a wealthy boy and the son of his father's servant, The Kite Runner is a beautifully crafted novel set in a country that is in the process of being destroyed. It is about the power of reading, the price of betrayal, and the possibility of redemption; and an exploration of the power of fathers over sons—their love, their sacrifices, their lies.

A sweeping story of family, love, and friendship told against the devastating backdrop of the history of Afghanistan over the last thirty years, The Kite Runner is an unusual and powerful novel that has become a beloved, one-of-a-kind classic. (More from Goodreads)

I fear nothing I can say will be eloquent enough to begin to describe this masterpiece. Having finished this book in two sittings (stopping only once to have lunch because I have skipped dinner and breakfast), I can tell you that it is one of the most riveting books I have ever read. There was never a dull moment- I laughed, and I cried, and I prayed- and cried again. The hype with this book is well-deserved. The writing was beautiful, the story gripping; the reality of it all is eye-opening, and heart-wrenching.

This is one breath-taking book with the capability to change your life, and I cannot sing enough praises for it. As such, I am not going into detail on the storyline. I feel everyone should read it and form their own opinions about the book.

Looking forward to future encounters with Khaled Hosseini's work!


~My Rating~
5 out of 5 Stars
★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment