Monday 12 January 2015

Review: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Title: The Graveyard Book
Author: Neil Gaiman
Genre: Fantasy, YA
Publisher: Harper Collins
Pages: 352
Bod is an unusual boy who inhabits an unusual place - he's the only living resident of a graveyard.

Raised from infancy by the ghosts, werewolves, and other cemetery denizens, Bod has learned the antiquated customs of his guardians' time as well as their timely ghostly teachings-like the ability to Fade.

Can a boy raised by ghosts face the wonders and terrors of the worlds of both the living and the dead? And then there are things like ghouls that aren't really one thing or the other. (More from Goodreads)
I've read several books by Neil Gaiman, all of which were targeted for the adult audience. I started picking them up because of the movie adaptation of Stardust, which I adored. That being said, I've been looking for this book at the bookstores for a while after having read the collection of short stories 'Wizards', in which an excerpt from The Graveyard Book was included- and I loved it (it might have been Chapter Four; I can't find the book anymore).


When I found the commemorative edition of The Graveyard Book in my favourite chain bookstore, I also found the original version- the dark blue cover of which I preferred over this golden yellow- but after reading the back and discovering this book has certain extras and was slightly cheaper, I settled for this edition.

The beginning of the book chilled me. Although it is to my understanding that Neil Gaiman got the idea to include it after he started writing the book (starting with Chapter Four), it blended seamlessly with the rest of the book. Never have I read a (questionably) middle-grade book with such a macabre introduction, although I suppose it was toned down well enough for younger readers. The plot is original, and the characters and setting were believable and memorable.

Bod spends much of his days in the graveyard, which would seem boring had it not been the work of this particular author. All in all, the plot was simple but for some surprises toward the end of the book, but the characters, and in particular Bod's development both in self and his relationships with the other characters, make it hard to put the book down. However I feel I need to read more of Bod's interactions with the Owenses as he was growing up, as I felt he did more with Silas than with his adopted parents.

Perhaps due in part to my age, I would love a spin-off for Silas's story. Novels could be made for him! I would pre-order that book if it ever came out.

Having gotten the commemorative edition, I'm glad I didn't find the older versions earlier. It contains the story behind The Graveyard Book (the title makes more sense now), and some sketches from Dave McKean who illustrated a portion of the book rather whimsically (not really to my liking but can't complain). Apart from that, the transcript of Neil Gaiman's Newberry Medal acceptance speech is included as well, and- to my absolute delight- some handwritten pages from the book! I'm unsure of which, among these, are included in the other editions of this book but I read all of these extras after finishing the book. Sad to say there was no mention of a possible Silas spin-off. Maybe I should look harder.

The Graveyard Book is, in short, a great addition to my bookshelf and growing pile of Neil Gaiman's works!

~My Rating~
5 out of 5 Marble Tombstones!

No comments:

Post a Comment