Friday 30 January 2015

Fulfilling Friday: One-Twelfth Around the Sun


Fulfilling Friday is a feature where I talk about the happenings of the week, focusing on the positives, and plan for the upcoming days- on a Friday, of course!


In the blink of a eye, the curtains begin their descent on January in preparation for February's act.

What have I done in this month?


Book-related

Well, first of all I completed my targets for the first month of this blog's existence. Two book reviews per week at least, and now scheduled posts are still bidding their time until February. I am one month closer to being ready to publicize this space.


I also read 8 (and by the end of today it would be 9) books this month, which according to Goodreads is 4 books ahead of schedule for my 2015 Reading Challenge. I planned to finish at least 50 books in 2015.

This month, I bought 4 books: Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson, The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani, The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin, and The Magicians by Lev Grossman. I have read two of those books.


Uni-related

Our last posting for this semester is almost at an end, with our exams looming in 22 days.

Time for the frantic last dash- no more time for textbook perusing, now it's time for note reading, note making, question answering, and question spotting!


Of Relationships

I sent physical cards to Thijs and his family for the first time in 5 years. It has always been social anxiety that stopped me before- the fear of being judged or doing something wrong even before attempting it- but this time, this year, I have the intention of quelling these negative notions and doing what I think to be positive things in spite of what my negativity pipes up every time.

Then I sent 5 people presents, and some of them are unlikely people who have done something that really made an impact to me in the past- even if it was just once. The act of giving random presents and cards to other people for seemingly slight things was something I started doing in the American school I went to when I was 9 to 11; the habit began dying after I left the school, and even more after high school. The great thing about random gift-giving is that it unexpectedly makes other people's days at times, and their gratitude makes yours!

I think I also expressed a lot more gratitude to others this month in general, and went into less trivial fights with my family members (we're loving people but quite the opinionated bunch with each other). In that sense it is a great start to the year.

Of my relationship with the community in general, I am still continuing my efforts. More than that I cannot say for fear of sounding too conceited.


Of Self-Discovery

Perhaps a bit of everything above, mixed with these in particular:
  • My discovery of artwork I love entirely from Kundry - and soon, I would have two of my favourite artwork in physical A3-sized copies! I am so excited!
  • Revisiting my fantasy story and making adjustments and more plot lines
  • Revisiting and 'reactivating' my AllPoetry account
  • An insight into making future savings

And with this post, I would like to say I'll probably be making Fulfilling Fridays a twice-monthly event. Having it every week was vital for me to keep content in the first month of this blog, and since I have maintained my aim for the posts and have some major studying to do within the next month, the limit is needed. There's a tendency for Fulfilling Friday posts to overwhelm the rest of the blog too :p

Here's to more productive and inspiring months to come in 2015!


No comments:

Post a Comment