Thursday 5 March 2015

Review: Apprentice (The Black Mage #2) by Rachel E. Carter

Title: Apprentice (The Black Mage #2)
Author: Rachel E. Carter
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult
Publisher: Astraea Press
Pages: 316

She survived a trial year at the Academy, but that was just the easy part…

Now sixteen-year-old Ryiah is an apprentice in Combat, her school’s most notorious faction of magic. When she finishes she will be a mage, but in order to do so she has to survive four years with a training master she hates and her old nemesis, Priscilla. To make matters worse the unwanted attraction Ry feels for her sometimes-friend-sometimes-rival Prince Darren is at an all time high –even though he is betrothed to the very girl she can’t stand.

Really, the only bright spot to Ryiah’s new life is the time she spends with her friends, including an older apprentice named Ian, who she finds herself thinking about quite often.

Just when things start to get comfortable they take a turn for the worse. An apprentice is killed in a rebel attack and several mages end up dead. Unwittingly, the apprentices find themselves in the midst of a budding unrest between Jerar and its northern neighbor, Caltoth. For Ryiah the impending conflict means many things, but as her apprenticeship draws to a close she finds her biggest problem at home.

Unfortunately for her, Darren’s not going anywhere. (More from Goodreads).


Here's my review the instant I finished this book on Goodreads.
Apprentice (The Black Mage, #2)Apprentice by Rachel E. Carter
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Oh this book is positively evil.

I'm still palpitating and my adrenaline rush is nowhere near over, but let me just say this: This book has improved on every aspect from the first book, and is more. Way more.

I didn't expect this, but I am absolutely head-over-heels in love with this book.

Ugh.

SO EVIL.

View all my reviews

Now for a proper, more (ahem) professional review.

In my review for the first book, I already introduced a bit of the author and my views on the character, setting and story line. Suffice to say the main cast of characters are still there, with a few notable additions- because unlike the first book which only detailed Ryiah's first year, this book details the entirety of Ryiah's apprenticeship (i.e. second year to fifth year).

With the apprenticeship comes a host of new things: an allowance, better living conditions, and a more practical approach to training. Of course, Ryiah also gains new friends while building up on her old relationships. In this sense, her friends become better friends while her enemies become even more bitter enemies- generally speaking.


Characters & Development

  • Ryiah is a lot more self-assured (go Ryiah!) but also a lot more... confused. Does it involve boys? Absolutely.
  • As always, Darren is an enigma. Do we get more scenes with him? Oh yes. But... *frustrated sigh* Hot & Cold, that's what this guy is.
  • Alex and Ella's relationship develops (fangirls everywhere squeal with joy!)
  • Priscilla still deserves a good spanking.
This book also (re)introduces a few more characters that we want to write into the Death Note, such as Master Byron, a chauvinist pig Master of Combat; Crown Prince Blayne (makes sense that his name rhymes with 'Royal Pain'); more of the "delightful" Langli family, plus others that will be better introduced from the story itself. 

On the bright side, it also (re)introduces many lovable characters, such as Ryiah and Alex's little brother Derrick, Sir Piers, and several more.

Ryiah still struggles with her control over magic, but we get to see her mastering it as well- and kicking some serious butt. Of course, you can't have it all. While her control over magic is steadying, she faces conflicting emotions and is caught in a love triangle. I have to admit, it makes me want to slap her with a book at times... But it just goes to show that despite all these amazing feats she is able to pull, she is still a teenager, with teenage conflicts of emotion.

Setting

World-building is very much improved in this book. We get to see much less of the Academy and explore the kingdom. There are deserts and seas, mines and cliffs; forests, cities and yes, a palace, among other places. Considering in the last book we spent 90% of our time in the Academy, this is a highly significant change. More than ever, a map is warranted!

As I said earlier, the entire book encompasses the entirety of Ryiah's apprenticeship in the Academy, which is approximately 4 years long (second to fifth year). And yes, that means a lot of progression in terms of magic, relationships and political intrigue. 

Story Progression

Training is simultaneously easier- and way harder. This book allows us to appreciate the depth with which the training was explained in the first book, which is commendable.

Since the first book focused on Ryiah's struggles mastering magic, this book has less of that, but still emphasizes on its restrictions and consequences albeit in a more practical manner. Like I said earlier, Ryiah's mastery of magic improves significantly. In addition to that, there are actual combat scenes, complete with strategies and fatalities. It's actually rather epic.

What I would have preferred is if the jumps in time are made more obvious. I tend to get confused as I read- because I read this quite fast, wanting to know the progression of certain characters in particular- that I would have to double back a few paragraphs and realize, Oh. Half a year has passed since that last thing. Oops.

It's fast-paced. Way more fast-paced than the first book. Sometimes a little too fast-paced, but not too much that it steals from the enjoyment of the story.

And if strong female protagonists, chariot wars, gorgeous bad boys, and deathly recon missions ALONE don't tickle your fancy, I don't know what will.

Writing Style

The prose doesn't stand out much, but Rachel E. Carter knows how to keep you reading- and this book even more than the first. She had me reading until the wee hours of the night, and even as I had other matters to attend to, I couldn't tear my eyes away from her writing. I wanted to know more. I want to know what happens to Ryiah and this war game and that battle; I want to see more of the palace and the cliffs and the forts and those people. Why did this character do that? Will we ever figure out what runs through his head? What on earth just happened? 

It got me frustrated, all knotted up and seething with anger, and then it splashed icy cold water on me and kinked out my knots. This book gave me problems, man. I had major issues. 
And then it made me happy again and all was right in the world.

OR IS IT?!
Read the book to find out more.

Conclusion

I would recommend this book to anyone who has a love for young adult and high fantasy genres, as well as those needing a kick-ass female protagonist. And those who are not averse to fast-paced writing and lack of beautiful prose. Like its predecessor, this book is still in need of thorough editing, but heck if that is going to prevent me from doing the following:


~My Rating~
5 out of 5 Freaking Stars!
★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment