Thursday 5 February 2015

Review: The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin

Title: The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry
Author: Gabrielle Zevin
Genre: Contemporary
Publisher: Abacus
Pages: 243
A. J. Fikry's life is not at all what he expected it to be. He lives alone, his bookstore is experiencing the worst sales in its history, and now his prized possession, a rare collection of Poe poems, has been stolen. But when a mysterious package appears at the bookstore, its unexpected arrival gives Fikry the chance to make his life over -- and see everything anew. (More from Goodreads)

I may have been spoiled by my short and limited life span within Contemporary territory, because I seem to think that the lot I've met are all dapper creatures. More likely, this is the result of some very heavy nit-picking and more than the usual amount of cajoling required for me to even consider purchasing a contemporary novel. This book came highly recommended by a booktuber (apparently that's what you call youtubers who mainly do videos and the usual assortment of youtube stuff on books) with whom I share the most similar selections of books in, and I was not wrong to trust her judgment. 


A.J. Fikry is a bookstore owner in the pits of what could be the lowest point in his life for almost two years, following the untimely demise of his wife. When things could not seem to get any worse, his most prized possession disappears, most probably stolen right under his nose, after he spent the night inebriated. Figuring nothing else valuable could be stolen from the store and his attic living space above it, he took to leaving the place without locking up... Until two weeks later, when uninvited guests entered- only to never completely leave.

Like any good contemporary novel, I will not say more. In fact, this is less than what you may read from the blurb on the back cover, which I will highly recommend you not to read- unless, like me, you're very picky about picking up contemporary books, too. 

I think I have established by this review that I would recommend my more beloved reads to others with the extra dash of 'Go into it blind'.

What I love so much about this books is just how human it is. I mean, aside from the premise that makes it book-worthy- because let's face it, who would read a book detailing the ordinary details of an ordinary bookstore owner with a happy family to the end?- it's so achingly human. 

'Her voice and her neck and even her armpits. They had been stubbly as a cat's tongue and, at the end of the day, smelled like milk just before it curdles.'
Human. Downright human.

In addition to that, there are certainly clever bits in the story, and elements that could qualify the novel as a mystery. Certain events came with a lot of foreshadowing, and I found these little details in Gabrielle Zevin's writing to be a total delight, particularly because they were scattered across the small volume so generously that they turned into a huge fulfilling meal. Not to mention she included some inadvertent literary recommendations that made me feel like the least well-read person on Earth. 

One other endearing thing I found in this book is the author's usage of words I would never be familiar with, left to my own devices as a second-language English speaker: "Shelf talkers" and "seersuckers", off the top of my head. They are actually rather ordinary everyday things!

I was overwhelmed by the more tragic bits in the story, but I feel the writing doesn't linger on these sad moments; I feel the author had made the more happy moments just a little bit longer, written just a little bit more meaningfully, than their counterparts. And that makes me all the more contented as I closed the book.


~My Rating~
5 out of 5 Shelf Talkers!

No comments:

Post a Comment